Monday, December 26, 2011

The Spirit of Giving and Receiving


I had an interesting Christmas time this year.  I made so many breads and cookies and bought some candy and gave out many of them.  In the past I have done secret Santa things and especially loved the feeling I got.  This year I was hoping for that same feeling.  I felt great giving out the first few, they were well received, but the last two it was not a good reception.  I was met with negativity and complaints.  Here I was hoping to bring a  little joy into their world and it seemed totally unnoticed or even wanted.  I will say that those who read this blog were not those people.  I wouldn't have wrote on this if it were. More importantly I am only writing this not to be critical of them but to make a point about what this meant to me.  It has made me realize that this was meant for my benefit to learn from.  They didn't need bread or cookies or candy from me... they needed a listening ear, they needed someone to probably show up more than once a year at Christmas time, perhaps they mistrusted my sincerity, perhaps I need to do more than visit once a year but maybe more often, perhaps I needed to know what their likes or interests are, perhaps I needed to be less concerned about how I was going to feel and more concerned with their feelings.  I have also learned I need to be more grateful when someone offers me something, such as bread, it seemed like a little thing to me, not really a big deal until I had the opportunity to make several batches of bread and learned how much work and effort went into it.  I have learned a lot about giving and receiving both this year and I am the better for it, I hope.
I also realize that many of the gifts the Savior offered were often not well received or wanted.  In fact His ultimate gift to us is often forgotten by many.  I wonder how I would rate in front of my Savior at this point in my life?  Have I done all that I was asked of by Him?  How am I doing at keeping all the commandments?  Reading my scriptures? Saying my prayers? Being of service to others?  There is much more I could say here but my point is what am I doing to show the Savior that I am grateful for His gift?  Have I received it well?  Just things I think I need to remember.  I do love the Savior and the Gospel, I am very grateful for the sacrifice that the Lord went through for me.  I know my Savior lives, I believe the Bible to be the word of God, and that the Book of Mormon is also the word of God and another testament of Jesus Christ. I know that President Thomas S. Monson is the prophet , and that he is led by God to lead and guide this church, I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church of God, I would like to leave you this testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

4 comments:

Cassie said...

Very insightful Chris and something good to think about & remember .....for all of us.

Millie and Me said...

Thanks Cassie!

Mom said...

What a blessing to have you for my daughter.

Millie and Me said...

Thanks Mom, that is good to know, thanks again, love ya lots!!!